Faster Payment System statistics
- In May, Faster Payments processed 264.1 million payments, which is a 27% increase on the amount processed in May 2020
- These payments amounted to a total of £199 billion for the month. This is a 40% increase on May 2020's total.
- Quarter 1 of 2021 saw 763 million payments processed by the Faster Payment System, a 15% increase on the amount processed in Q1 for 2020
- The total amount of payments processed during this quarter was £597 billion, which is a 15% increase on 2020 Q1 's total.
- 2020 saw the Faster Payment System break the record for the highest amount of payments processed in a single year
- 2019 saw 2.4 billion payments processed, whereas in 2020 the figure grew to over 2.9 billion
- In total, there were 410 million more payments processed than in 2019. This is an increase of 17%
- Faster Payment System broke the record in 2020 for the number of payments processed in a single year
- £1.9 trillion was transferred via the Faster Payment System in 2019. In 2020 however, over £2.1 trillion was transferred
- In total, the amount processed in 2020 rose by £159.2 billion compared to 2019. This is an increase of 8%.
Faster Payment System - Values for the previous 12 months
Faster Payment System - Volumes for the previous 12 months
Discover insights into the payments industry and the people and businesses our services support
Subscribe to receive the latest news from Pay.UK
Our press team are always on hand to speak to the media and help find answers to questions